Review of Last Week
A. Timothy-a young man who willingly served in second place
B. He had a brotherly spirit in caring for others
He was willing to deny himself-to be obsessed with the things of Christ
D. He was willing to be a son, a disciple
1. Willing to be tried & proven
2. Willing to go as sent
This week we are going to look at the example of Epaphroditus
Introduction: The Minister Epaphroditus
/Charming, lovely// /
1) He is not mentioned anywhere else in Scripture.
2) A messenger sent by the church at Philippi with a gift for the apostle Paul (Philippians 4:10-19).
3) Paul was under house arrest in Rome (2:25; 4:18).
4) While in Rome Epaphroditus became ill [even to the point of death *cf.
2:8*] and word of his sickness spread to Philippi.
5) In turn news returned to Epaphroditus that his church was worried over his sickness.
6) He in turn began to worry about Him.
7) God graciously spared him by healing him of his sickness
8) As soon as Epaphroditus was well enough, Paul sent him back home to relieve the church’s anxiety and to deliver Paul’s letter to the Philippians.
Verse 25 we see a brief description of the man.
Verse’s 26-28 we see the reasons for his return.
Verse’s 29 & 30 we see the manner in which he should be received.
The Possibility of a Problem Existed
If he returned back to Philippi before Paul’s verdict was known, some would call him a quitter, coward, a failure.
2. The answer to this criticism is the very reason for this passage.
He did not quit nor forsake his brother
He did not quit nor forsake the church
He did not quit nor forsake God
d. Conclusion: The Appeal
1) Paul is sending him back to the church so the church can enjoy & rejoice in him
2) Receive him: He builds his reputation; he gambles & risks his life for Christ.
He Did Not Quit Nor Forsake His Brother Paul
/Question: /There are five characteristics that Paul says about Epaphroditus, what are they?
My brother—“the fellowship in the gospel” 1:5
Brother*/—/*refers to a person who has the same parent.
Epaphroditus was born of God by placing his faith and trust in Jesus Christ.
— John 1:12 says But as many as received Him, to them He gave the right to become children of God, to those who believe in His name:
Israelites we taught not to hate their brothers (Lev.
Believers are to be…
1. Kindly affectionate to one another with brotherly love - Romans 12:10
2. To let brotherly love continue - Hebrews 13:1
3. To Love the brotherhood - 1 Peter 2:17
4. To Love as brothers -1 Peter 3:8
* Refers to the love of Christian believers for one another (Acts 9:17)
· This is to be the badge or hallmark, of a Christian (Jn.
Note what else Paul says about Epaphroditus….
My fellow worker—“the furtherance of the gospel” 1:12
!!! 1. Question: What does Jesus say in Matthew 9:35-38 about laborers?
Women also labor according to Philippians 4:13?
— And let us not grow weary while doing good, for in due season we shall reap if we do not lose heart.
Therefore, as we have opportunity, let us do good to all, especially to those who are of the household of faith .
— Therefore, my beloved brethren, be steadfast, immovable, always abounding in the work of the Lord, knowing that your labor is not in vain in the Lord (1 Cor.
My fellow soldier—“the faith of the gospel” 1:27
Question: What is a soldier?
A soldier is enlisted in the army 2 TIMOTHY 2:4
When you put your faith & trust in Jesus Christ you were enlisted in God’s Army
1) In the army a soldier must be colorblind, they are all green /teamwork/.
2) God is colorblind therefore we must be colorblind & work together.
A good soldier of Jesus Christ endures hardship 2 TIMOTHY 2:3
A soldier is engaged in warfare 1 TIMOTHY 1:18
A good soldier does not entangle himself in the affairs of this life 2 TIMOTHY 2:4.
1) when a soldier is called to duty, he must be severed from civilian life
2) a soldier must refuse to allow the things of the world to distract him
(a) James 4:4 cf. 1 John 2:15-17
Question: Does a soldier go out to battle with no equipment or does he have weapons he uses to fight?
Question: What does a “good soldier” of Jesus Christ use?
The “armor of God” EPHESIANS 6:10-18
1) a soldier must be “get his order’s from his commanding officer” JESUS CHRIST 6:10
2) a soldier put on his armor & use it, he does not leave it back in the barracks
3) a soldier of Jesus Christ wages war against heavenly hosts 6:12
4) a soldier of Jesus Christ must TAKE UP his armor & STAND against his enemy 6:13
5) a soldier risks his life for the sake of others PHILIPPIANS 2:30
6) a good soldier of Jesus Christ seeks to please his Lord 2 TIMOTHY 2:4
What is a messenger?
/Apostolos /– apostle, messenger, someone who has been delegated by the church to carry out an assignment.
An official representative through whom the church itself speaks and acts.