FLEE FROM FORNICATION AND ADULTERY
Study Text: Proverbs 5:1-14
- Occasionally we hear very disturbing news: someone we know has committed adultery or fornication:
Who we thought was devoted to their spouse and their Lord
In some cases, it is a preacher, elder, deacon, or Bible class teacher
- Our reaction is usually, "What are they thinking...?"
How can they do such a thing to their spouse and children?
How can they turn their back on the Lord who died for them?
Do they not know the terrible consequences of adultery?
- Though not a pleasant subject, it is necessary to be frequently reminded of:
The terrible price of the sin of adultery
How one can prevent the sin of adultery
I. THE PRICE OF ADULTERY
A. IT CAN COST YOUR WEALTH.
- Solomon pleads with his children to stay away from the immoral woman - Prov 5:7-8
- His first reason: "Lest you give your honor to others..." - Prov 5:9a
- He reiterates: "Lest aliens be filled with your wealth, And your labors go to the house of a foreigner."
- Prov 5:10
B. IT CAN COST YOUR PHYSICAL HEALTH.
- Solomon's second reason: "...and your years to the cruel one."
- Prov 5:9b
- He adds: "And you mourn at last, when your flesh and body are consumed."
- Pr 5:11
- Bacterial STDs (e.g., chlamydia, syphilis, gonorrhea) are often brought on by immorality
- Viral STDs (e.g., genital herpes, Hepatitis B, AIDS) are incurable
-- Sexually transmitted diseases can eat away at your body
C. IT CAN COST YOUR MENTAL HEALTH.
- You will be filled with self-recrimination: "How I hated instruction, and my heart despised correction!
I have not obeyed the voice of my teachers, nor inclined my ear to those who instructed me!" - Prov 5:12-13
- As you recall the violent effects of divorce on your spouse (and on your children who will likely suffer the worst), you will berate your stupidity!
- Mal 2:16
-- Your conscience can eat away at your peace of mind
D. IT CAN COST YOUR REPUTATION.
- As suggested by these words: "I was on the verge of total ruin, in the midst of the assembly and congregation."
– Prov 5:14
- People do not take lightly the sin of adultery - Prov 6:27-35.
Can a person be trusted who would lie to their spouse?
-- Your unfaithfulness can eat away at your reputation
- Adultery destroys one's wealth, body, soul, and reputation.
Forgiveness is possible (1Cor 6:9-11), but many affects of adultery continue throughout one's life.
THE PREVENTION OF ADULTERY
A. LOVE YOUR SPOUSE.
- Rejoice with the wife of your youth; be enraptured by her love - Prov 5:15-19; Ecc 9:9
a. Husbands, love your wives as Christ loved the church - Eph 5: 25,28
Wives, learn to love your husbands - Tit 2:3-4
- Why be enraptured by an adulteress (adulterer) and seductress (seducer)?
- Prov 5:20
a. One's true character is revealed by their immorality
If they commit adultery with you, they are likely to commit adultery against you!
B. LOVE YOUR LORD.
- The Lord is omniscient, and sins will have their effect – Prov 5:21-23
He sees all - Prov 15:3
God will judge fornicators and adulterers - Heb 13:4
When one sins against the Lord, their sins will be exposed - Num 32:23
- How much better to love the Lord, and be loyal to Him
He looks for those loyal to Him - 2Chrn 16:9; Mat 22:37
Joseph's devotion to God prevented him from being tempted - Gen 39:7-10
The Lord blessed Joseph because of his faithfulness - Gen 39:21; 41:50-52
-- Those who love the Lord foremost, love their spouses forever!
The price of adultery is terrible...
a. Which too many learn by sad experience
Which all can avoid by heeding God's Word
2. The prevention of adultery is possible when our love is in the right place...
a. Loving the Lord with all our heart
Loving our spouses with God's blessing
- Do not destroy the lives of so many with misdirected affection...!