7 Things God Hates - Part 1
A. The love of God is beyond our understanding.
He loves lost sinners ()
2. His love made salvation possible ()
3. His love sent Jesus to the cross ()
B. But God hates things that bring His children pain.
C. Seven pain-producers are hated by God.
We will consider three of them today.
2. This text is a serious one, revealing what God hates.
This six…seven pattern is also used in , and a similar pattern is used in various Proverbs.
The purpose of this numerical pattern is not to give a complete list.
Instead it is to stress the final (x + 1) item, as the culmination or product of the previous items mentioned.
God Hates a Proud Look (v.
First on the list is pride, because pride is usually the basic motivation for all other sins.
It was pride that brought about the fall of Lucifer and turned him into Satan.
2. Pride precedes destruction.
3. “Haughty eyes belong not to the one who has been a learner at His feet who is ‘meek and lowly in heart’”.
(H. A. Ironside)
4. Consider the Psalmist’s example… ()
“Lowliness and humility here relate to a sanctified heart, a will subdued to the mind of God” (C.
The second thing God hates...
God Hates a Lying Tongue (v.
1. God is a God of truth.
It’s one of the Ten Commandments.
2. Lying actually began in the Garden of Eden (“You shall not surely die” )
3. Jesus called Satan the father of lies ()
4. God desires truth deep within: an honest heart () God sees a lie not as an act of speech, but as a deadly force that goes to work in society and divides and destroys.
When we lie, we open the door for Satan to work.
God desires truth.
5. “God desires not only outward virtue but inward purity.”
6. Jesus: “I am the way, the truth, and the life” () Third...
God Hates Hands That Shed Innocent Blood (v.
The third sin God hates is murder.
God’s grief over this came early: Cain and Abel ()
2. This is also one of the Ten Commandments, “Thou shalt not kill” ()
3. God permits the government to exercise capital punishment and strengthen justice in the land (; ), but the shedding of innocent blood pollutes the land (
A. While God hates sin, He offers full forgiveness.
1. Can you identify anything God hates in your life?
2. There is hope for us because of God’s grace ()
Thank God for His mercy and His grace.
Next time together we will cover the rest.