Living in the Fullness of the Spirit - 02 - Wait for Empowerment
Reading: Acts 1:1-11
“Do not leave Jerusalem, but wait for the gift my Father promised, which you have heard me speak about. For John baptized with water, but in a few days you will be baptized with the Holy Spirit.” Acts 1:4b-5 ( NIV)
I. Don’t Go Anywhere
A. Stay Together
1. Implied in the command to them
2. They/we need to get used to being together
3. Only together can we carry on.
B. Stay in Jerusalem
1. Stay in the dangerous place (!)
2. At the very seat of what was passing away
3. B/c here is where it will all change.
C. Stay Until
1. Not “stay forever” but until the H.S. comes!
but stay in the city until you have been clothed with power from on high. (Lk 24:49b)
2. There is a time to move (after empowerment)
II. Wait for the Promised gift
A. Something is still Missing
1. Though knew & believed in Jesus (v.21-22)
2. Though they had the commandment
3. Though they had received the Spirit
And with that he breathed on them and said, “Receive the Holy Spirit.” (Jn 20:22)
4. There is no ministry in our own strength
B. Active waiting
1. Lit. keep on waiting
2. Wait for (expect, hope)
3. Wait b/c God will do something
but they who wait for the Lord shall renew their strength, they shall mount up with wings like eagles, they shall run and not be weary, they shall walk and not faint.
Isaiah 40:31 ( RSV)
C. The Pledge of the Father
1. Promise: lit. on the message
a. we have His word (Ezek. 36:27; Joel 2:28)
And I will put my Spirit in you and move you to follow my decrees and be careful to keep my laws. Ezk. 36:27
And afterward, I will pour out my Spirit on all people. Your sons and daughters will prophesy, your old men will dream dreams, your young men will see visions. Joel 2:28
2. A promised gift
how much more will your Father in heaven give the Holy Spirit to those who ask him!” Lk 11:13
III. You will Receive power (v.8)
A. A Different kind of power
1. Not political superiority (v.6)
2. Dunamis - enabling power – for the KoG!
3. Power from God (not from depth of conviction!)
B. The Spirit will Come Upon us
1. Come upon vs. Dwell w/in
a. Superior force on one subject to it
2. The H.S. comes upon Mary in Luke 2:35
3. Very few people in OT, but on all of us!
C. Empowerment Required
1. Spending 3 full years w/ Jesus isn’t enough!
2. We don’t need strategies, but the H.S.!
3. But we have the empowering of the H.S.!
a. If we seek Him and wait for Him
The Bottom Line:
|We will Wait upon the Lord; He alone can Renew our Strength.|