Text: Genesis 6.8 – 9.29
Thesis: To study the life of Noah in order to encourage us to live a life which finds favor in the
eyes of the Lord
(1) His name means “rest.”
(2) He was the son of Lamech.
(3) The Biblical record about his life begins with him being 500 years old.
(4) The Bible says of him: “But Noah found favor in the eyes of the Lord” (Gen.
(5) Let us note what he did so that we may likewise find favor in the eyes of the Lord:
He was Righteous in a time of Unrighteousness.
Everyone else – Gen 6:5-6 - /Then the LORD saw that the wickedness of man was great on the earth, and that every intent of the thoughts of his heart was only evil continually.
And the LORD was sorry that He had made man on the earth, and He was grieved in His heart.
B. Noah - Gen 6:9 – /Noah was a righteous man, blameless in his time; Noah walked with God./
He was Saved during a time of Destruction.
The Problem - /And the LORD said, "I will blot out man whom I have created from the face of the land, from man to animals to creeping things and to birds of the sky; for I am sorry that I have made them."/
2. The Solution – Make an ark (Gen.
In Noah’s salvation, he was saved:
By Grace (Gen.
By Faith – /By faith Noah, being warned by God about things not yet seen, in reverence prepared an ark for the salvation of his household, by which he condemned the world, and became an heir of the righteousness which is according to faith./
By Works - /Thus Noah did; according to all that God had commanded him, so he did.
/Who once were disobedient, when the patience of God kept waiting in the days of Noah, during the construction of the ark, in which a few, that is, eight persons, were brought safely through the water.
And corresponding to that, baptism now saves you-- not the removal of dirt from the flesh, but an appeal to God for a good conscience-- through the resurrection of Jesus Christ./
He Preached to Unwilling ears:
He was a “preacher of righteousness” (2 Pet.
B. The ark was a perpetual sermon for 120 years.
This demonstrates God’s long suffering nature (cf. 2 Pet.
2. Nevertheless, only 8 souls were saved, but Noah was a success.
He Worshipped God at the very first opportunity.
As soon as he got off of the ark, then he offered up sacrifices unto God (Gen.
B. Because of his righteous attitude, then God promised never again to destroy the earth by flood and He put a rainbow in the clouds as a sign of this promise.
He Sinned but yet is still called Blameless.
Got drunk – Gen. 9.21
B. Still called “blameless” – Gen. 6.9
C. Lesson – God forgives and looks at you as if you were sinlessly perfect
(1) Noah died at the age of 950 (Gen.
(2) He died as a man “who walked with God” (Gen.
(3) This is because he had faith in God and acted upon it regardless of whether anyone was willing to do likewise.
(4) Will you tonight act upon your faith regardless of anyone and anything else so that you can truly one day walk with God?