Sermon Tone Analysis
Overall tone of the sermon
This automated analysis scores the text on the likely presence of emotional, language, and social tones. There are no right or wrong scores; this is just an indication of tones readers or listeners may pick up from the text.
A score of 0.5 or higher indicates the tone is likely present.
Tone of specific sentences
.5 - .6
.6 - .7
.7 - .8
.8 - .9
*A Message For Our Graduates*
1. Everyone is trying to accomplish something big, not realizing that life is made up of little things.
– Frank A. Clark
a. Graduating High School is a huge accomplishment, and we congratulate you for your success.
However, while this is a huge accomplishment, may this be just a little part of your life adding up to something big!
2. Our lesson tonight comes from the book of Joshua.
Not much is known about Joshua’s birth, heritage, etc, but one thing is well known when we talk about Joshua, he was a man of great courage and bravery.
As the children of Israel stood near the Promised Land they sent out 12 spies to survey the territory.
10 of the spies gave an “evil report” (Num.13:32) and said that Israel could not conquer the land.
Joshua and Caleb (2 of the 12) thought otherwise and said “we can take them.”
As a result of the “unbelief” (Heb.) of Israel, they would wander in the wilderness for 40 years.
Only Joshua and Caleb would be able to enter.
*Discussion: *[and so our lesson begins in Joshua 1:1]
**ARE YOU READY FOR THE CHALLENGE – 1 – 2*
Joshua had been Moses’ right hand man for more than 40 years.
It is now time for Joshua to take Moses’ place as the new leader of Israel.
This was not going to be an easy task.
Everything Joshua had worked, prepared, and studied for would now be put to the test.
Graduates, are you ready for the challenge?
1. Everything you have worked and prepared for thus far in your life will now be put to the test.
Your /faith/ will be put to the test (1 Pet.3:15).
Your /purity/ will be put to the test (1 Pet.4:1-5).
2. Do not forget God in this new direction in your life.
God placed this new direction in Joshua’s life because He knew Joshua could handle the task.
1. God has placed a new direction in your life as well.
He knows you can handle the task.
**I WILL BE WITH YOU – 5*
Joshua was going to be Israel’s new “commander in chief.”
He was going to be up front in very scary battles.
He needed someone to be by his side.
1. God said, “I was with Moses, I will be with you.”
2. “I will not leave you nor forsake you.”
God promises us that He will be with us in any battle we face today (Heb.13:5).
1. God being with us brings to mind a couple of things…
2. /Strength/ (Phil.4:13;
Ps.46:1) and /Fear/ (Heb.4:13).
You will be faced with many battles.
New friends, new faces, new challenges.
Remember, God will not leave you; do not leave Him.
Not to participate in spiritual things.
2. Do not leave the Lord!
**BE STRONG AND COURAGEOUS – 6, 7, 9*
Be strong and of good courage to do God’s work (v.6).
1. Joshua would have to divide the land between the tribes of Israel.
This was a very key time in the history of Israel and even affects us today.
This land would be the land where God’s name would dwell in the temple, it was the land where God’s Son would be born to redeem mankind, and it would be the land that God would set up His kingdom (the church) where the saved would remain until Christ returns.
2. Graduates, you are at a very key time in your life.
The decisions you make right now will affect you for the rest of your life.
There will be temptations to skip services of the church.
There will be temptations to not participate in spiritual things.
You will always have these kinds of challenges.
i. Remember, you are at a key point in your spiritual life.
Do not abuse your freedom from your parents.
You are Christians, you have a Heavenly parent who knows you better than you do.
Be strong and of good courage to keep God’s Law (v.7).
1. Joshua would need his map as he went out and fulfilled God’s mission for him in his life.
This map was not a geographical map however, it was a spiritual map that he was to follow.
In order to be blessed he would have to follow it in every way (do not turn to the right or to the left).
God told Joshua, if you do not turn away from Me and My words, you will prosper.
2. Graduates, there will be times in your life where you do not know where to turn, people will be testing your faith, you may be confused about where to go or what to do in a certain situation, turn to God’s map.
Stay strong (1 Tim.4:12; Jas.4:8).
Do not turn away to the right or to the left.
Be strong and of good courage to carry out God’s commandments (v.9).
When does the devil tempt us the most?
When we are most vulnerable.
2. You will be tempted that is for sure, but remember to be strong and of good courage, the Lord has work to do, and He will be with you on your journey.
**NOW GET GOING – 9*
.5 - .6
.6 - .7
.7 - .8
.8 - .9