The Future is Bright (LHCOC)
The Future is Bright
1. Well, as far as I know, my family will be back in town for a while. We have been all across the country this month, and are glad to be back.
2. Last week I attended a seminar especially designed for preachers and their families (PTP).
a. I am grateful to be able to sit at the feet of some of the most capable men in the brotherhood.
b. Jennifer and I are both thankful for the congregation for helping us financially to make this trip and for Chuck, Dick and especially Brad Kilgore for filling in for me in my absence.
3. Our lesson today is basically the “overflow” from all of the things I learned this past week.
a. As you well know, I am a visual learner, and one of the first things I noticed while attending this seminar was the overwhelming amount of younger generation preachers.
b. It was encouraging to me to see so many young men who love the truth, uphold the truth, and defend the gospel in one place, and knowing there were a lot more who did not come.
c. So as a result, I would like to tell you the future of the church looks bright.
4. Today what we want to do is discuss what we can do to ensure there will be a bright future for the Lord’s church?
We ask the question: How do we keep the future of the church looking bright?
I. 4 AREAS WE MUST NEVER FALTER IN
A. The Message we proclaim (Heb.4:12; Jn.14:6; Eph.5:23).
1. Back to the Bible (Heb.4:12).
a. The Bible is living and active, and able to equip us in every spiritual way possible.
b. We must go back to the Bible for everything we do in matters of faith and practice.
c. This may not be a message people want to hear today, but many do we just have to get the message to them.
2. Salvation is only found in Christ (Jn.14:6).
a. In the last month I have traveled close to 5,000 miles on the interstate, I have noticed many bumper stickers on cars that say: Coexist.
b. What does this mean? Basically that all religions will lead to the same place.
c. That is not what I read in my Bible.
3. Church is essential (Eph.5:23).
a. There is only one church that you will read about in the NT, i.e. the Lord’s church.
b. One must be in the church to be saved.
B. The Preparation of our members (2 Tim.2:2; Eph.4:16)
1. Compare period between Joshua and Judges.
2. Messengers (2 Tim.2:2).
a. The church must fulfill its mission of training up Christian men and women for service in the next generation.
b. This is the job of every member.
c. Beginning in September, Adam Tinin and I will be co coordinating 1 Sunday night a month where different men of the congregation will have an opportunity to grow in their talents as they lead our service.
3. Bring Children Up (Eph.6:4).
a. While the church has obligation to help train members, the home is the primary place for training.
b. Mothers and fathers must teach their children morality, creation, and responsibility.
C. The Love we have for others (1 cor.13; Jn.13:34).
1. A whole chapter in the Bible is devoted to the subject of love. Paul begins the chapter with, “Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I have become sounding brass or a clanging cymbal.”
2. We must have love for sinners.
a. Hate the sin, love the sinner.
b. We must show our love not only in word, but also in deed.
3. We must have love for the saints
a. Yes friends, saints are not dead as some would claim, saints are alive, and the term used in the NT is synonymous with the word Christian.
b. When we have love for other Christians, the world will know we are disciples of Christ.
D. The Freedom we enjoy through Christ (Gal.5:1).
1. Christ set the world free from legalism, and pleads for us to be unified in this freedom.
2. We must stand 4 square on the gospel on Christ, and not turn to the right or to the left.
3. We must not bind our traditions as law, and in the same respect, we must not mess around with what God has not authorized.
II. 4 AREAS WE MUST ALWAYS IMPROVE IN
A. Our Enthusiasm as God’s people (Prov.23:17-18).
1. Don’t lose heart. “Turn that frown upside down.”
2. When others see our zeal, they too will want to have what we have.
3. “I’m happy today of yes I happy today; in Jesus Christ I’m happy today.”
B. Our Education program (Col.1:28).
1. It is our goal to present everyone complete in Christ. This is made possible by the preaching and teaching of the gospel.
2. The proclaiming of the word of God is manifested in…
a. Public and…
3. I understand our education needs to be improved, and in the near future we will work towards those efforts
C. Our Evangelism throughout the world (Acts 20:20).
1. The churches mission is the saving of souls. We may help someone with food and clothing, but if we do not give them spiritual food, then we have failed.
2. Every member plays a special part in evangelism. It is also done publicly and privately.
3. House to House, in my opinion is big step for the congregation in terms of evangelism. I appreciate your supporting this work both financially, physically, and spiritually.
D. Our Endurance firm until the end (Gal.6:9-10).
1. We must not lose heart. We must be faithful until death.
2. Many times when the going gets tuff we lose heart, but if we are doing what is right, we will have our reward.
1. Friends, the future of the Lord’s church is bright.
2. We must not falter in…
a. Proclaiming the truth.
b. Training every member old and young in service to God.
c. Love the brethren, and caring for the lost.
d. Staying balanced in the liberty of Christ.
3. We must always be improving in our…
b. Our education program (church and home)
c. Our reaching out to those who are lost.
d. Our staying faithful until death and not losing heart.
"For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing even to the division of soul and spirit, and of joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart." - Hebrews 4:12.
"Jesus said to him, “I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me." - John 14:6.
"For the husband is head of the wife, as also Christ is head of the church; and He is the Savior of the body." - Ephesians 5:23.
"And the things that you have heard from me among many witnesses, commit these to faithful men who will be able to teach others also." - 2 Timothy 2:2.
"from whom the whole body, joined and knit together by what every joint supplies, according to the effective working by which every part does its share, causes growth of the body for the edifying of itself in love." - Ephesians 4:16.
"And you, fathers, do not provoke your children to wrath, but bring them up in the training and admonition of the Lord." - Ephesians 6:4.
"Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I have become sounding brass or a clanging cymbal.”- 1 Corinthians 13:1.
"A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another; as I have loved you, that you also love one another." - John 13:34.
" Stand fast therefore in the liberty by which Christ has made us free, and do not be entangled again with a yoke of bondage." - Galatians 5:1.
"Do not let your heart envy sinners, But be zealous for the fear of the Lord all the day;
For surely there is a hereafter, And your hope will not be cut off." - Proverbs 23:17-18.
"Him we preach, warning every man and teaching every man in all wisdom, that we may present every man perfect in Christ Jesus." - Colossians 1:28.
"how I kept back nothing that was helpful, but proclaimed it to you, and taught you publicly and from house to house," - Acts 20:20.
"And let us not grow weary while doing good, for in due season we shall reap if we do not lose heart. Therefore, as we have opportunity, let us do good to all, especially to those who are of the household of faith." - Galatians 6:9-10.