There arose a generation who did not know God
10 And also all that generation were gathered to their fathers, and there arose another generation after them who did not know (recognize, understand) the Lord, or even the work which He had done for Israel.
History has shown that human nature left to its self, gravitates downwards
I. After Joshua’s death and those who help him, there arose another generation who know not God.
A. A whole generation who knew not God
B. They were not taught by their parents and friends
1. Ephesians 6:4, And, ye fathers, provoke not your children to wrath: but bring them up in the nurture and admonition of the Lord.
2. We have a responsabilty to ourseleves and to others to teach and tell them about God
II. And because they were not taught, there was no fear or reverence for God
A. We need to be challenged to Proverbs 22:6, Train up a child in the way he should go: and when he is old, he will not depart from it.
B. When I was younger, I saw no need for History.
1. It is so important that we remember the past
a) Think about this, the Bible is a history book
2. We not only have a responsibility to our children but to all those we have an opportunity to witness to.
III. Remember, it is easy to worship God when we are in trouble and it is another thing to worship Him when everything is going good.
A. Exodus 1:8, Now there arose up a new king over Egypt, which knew not Joseph.
B. 1 Samuel 2:12, Now the sons of Eli were sons of Belial; they knew not the LORD.
C. We need to take in as much of the Bible as we can
1. John 5:39, Search the scriptures; for in them ye think ye have eternal life: and they are they which testify of me
1 Chronicles 28:9, And thou, Solomon my son, know thou the God of thy father, and serve him with a perfect heart and with a willing mind: for the LORD searcheth all hearts, and understandeth all the imaginations of the thoughts: if thou seek him, he will be found of thee; but if thou forsake him, he will cast thee off for ever.
Joshua 1:8, This book of the law shall not depart out of thy mouth; but thou shalt meditate therein day and night, that thou mayest observe to do according to all that is written therein: for then thou shalt make thy way prosperous, and then thou shalt have good success.
Sunday morning Biker Service 8/5/07