Facts Of Fornication 1 Corinthians 6
BIBLE FACTS ABOUT FORNICATION (SEXUAL IMMORALITY)
1. Read the text: 1 Cor. 6:12-20.
2. Regarding the text:
(1) One reason Paul wrote to Corinth was to address questions they had.
(2) The beginning portion of this Chapter is fairly straightforward and easily followed. Especially vv. 9-11.
(3) The text of this lesson has been labeled by some as one of the “vague portions” of the letter.
A. Notice the beginning of verses 12a and 13a.
a. Clearly not all things are lawful – Notice vv. 9-11!!!
b. These may have become common sayings / slogans / proverbs.
B. One might miss some surrounding detail, but one cannot miss the point.
a. That ADMITTING that all things were lawful, there were many things which ought not to be indulged (v. 12).
b. That ADMITTING that they were lawful, yet a man ought not to be under the power of any improper indulgence, and should abandon any habit when it had the mastery.
c. That FORNICAITON was positively wrong, and against the very nature and essence of Christianity, (from Barnes' Notes)
3. The subject matter of this lesson is delicate:
(1) We do not wish to be crude or too frank.
(2) Yet we must not be naively evasive.
A. We live in a “sex-saturated” society (cf. Attached info).
B. God’s word does not avoid the subject but deals frankly.
C. Sexual relations is not a “dirty” subject if kept in a godly context.
(3) We have the obligation to preach the whole counsel of God (Acts 20:27).
(4) The world in which our children live demands godly attention to the subject.
DISCUSSION: PAUL IDENTIFIES 9 REASONS A CHRISTIAN MUST NOT COMMIT FORNICATION --
I. THE BODY IS NOT FOR FORNICATION (V. 13).
1. Think about this point! God designed us! For a purpose!!!
(1) Our bodies have “physical appetites” (i.e. food for the stomach, sex).
(2) They were saying, “Hey this is the way God made us.”
(3) Paul is saying, “eating meat is not a perversion of body’s purpose, but fornication is!”
2. Our bellies will be destroyed and so too our physical appetites. THEY are not eternal, but another part of us is!!! Our Spirit will return to God (Ecc. 12:7).
II. THE BODY IS FOR THE LORD (V. 13).
1. Rom. 12:1,2.
2. Another profound yet sublime thought:
(1) We are spiritual body, but also we are the physical body of Christ.
A. In a sense we are God’s hands, legs, eyes, ears, etc.
B. The Lord is the head of the body (Col. 1:18).
(2) In our physical bodies there is a special relation of meat to the belly.
(3) Our bodies are designed to compliment the Lord in God’s work.
3. We live in bodies designed by God. That fact alone, should cause us to live holy consecrated lives (avoid too great a dependency on any physical aspect of life).
4. Paul is saying, “It may be commonplace, but when you commit sexual immorality, you have crossed the line! You have sinned. Your body was not formed for such a purpose.”
III. THE LORD IS FOR THE BODY (V. 13).
1. Jesus came to earth to live in this physical body (Phil. 2:6-8; John 1:14), yet He did so perfectly on our behalf (Heb. 4:15) and has prepared a place.
2. Jesus is our Shepherd, our Head, our Provider.
3. When it comes to fornication, how many lies have been told and will be told all for selfish indulgent desires? Jesus told no lies on our behalf.
4. There is a contest between porneia and Jesus for your body! Which desires best for you?
IV. THE BODY WILL BE RAISED (V. 14).
1. Rom. 6:3,4.
2. “Beyond this land of parting, losing, and leaving, Far beyond the losses darkening this, and far beyond the taking and the bereaving lies the summer land of bliss…”
3. Christians, by the power of Jesus Christ enjoy a hope known to no other.
4. In Mk. 12 Jesus made it clear to the Sadducees and mankind that men do rise from the dead, and they retain their identity when they do.
5. What manner of body it will be I cannot fully comprehend.
(1) Jesus resurrected body seems to have been a bit different in nature, but nevertheless it was still a body.
(2) Read: Philippians 3:21.
(3) This lesson will not come close to exhausting this topic, but we remind you of the three powerful points presented by Paul (1 Cor. 15:35-39).
A. You must die before you can live eternally.
B. The identity of that which is placed in the ground will continue.
C. The resurrected body is more glorious than the earthly one.
6. 2 Cor. 5:1.
V. THE BODY IS A MEMBER OF CHRIST (V. 15).
1. Christians are united / bonded / joined to the pure body of Jesus Christ.
2. When we are baptized much more than a washing of the physical body takes place (cf. 1 Pet. 3:21).
(1) Sins are removed from our spiritual body.
(2) We are added to the spiritual body of Christ.
(3) Yet we remain here in our physical bodies to do the Lord’s work.
3. Bible describes it as “putting on Christ” (Gal. 3:27) and “Christ lives in us” (Gal. 2:20).
4. A Christian is bound to his master Christ and must not prostitute their self.
VI. SEXUAL IMMORALITY IS A SIN AGAINST THE BODY (V. 16-18).
1. I remind you that our bodies were designed by God (Gen. 1). When one commits fornication they sin against many (God first of all) but especially they sin against their own body!!! (For a moment of passion and pleasure).
2. Dangers abound and are apparent (FLEE!!!):
(1) Disease (v.d.; aids; herpes).
(2) Undesired pregnancy.
(3) Doubt in marriage.
(4) Denial of the real meaning of sex (fornication is a giving of the body without the giving of one’s self as God intends).
(5) Damnation of one’s soul.
VII. THE BODY IS THE TEMPLE OF THE HOLY SPIRIT (V. 19).
1. Let us not miss this Bible truth!
(1) The Bible teaches that the Spirit is in us. This is not debateable!
(2) Paul says that our bodies are in fact a “temple” or “sanctuary.”
(3) Our spirit dwells in our body, and the Holy Spirit dwells in our spirit.
2. However He dwells there, something undeserved takes place.
3. Hot topic today for debate, but let us not lose sight of the language God uses. Your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit!!
VIII. THE CHRISTIAN IS NOT HIS OWN. BOUGHT WITH A PRICE (V. 20).
1. Paul says, “you are not your own!”
(1) A Christian belongs to the Lord (2 Tim. 2:19).
(2) Our heart, mind, soul, strength, etc, belong to God (Rom. 12:1,2).
2. Paul says, “you’ve been bought!”
(1) The purchase price was high. Price paid = value to the Payer.
(2) The item purchased does not belong to itself.
3. Illustration: Does a completely renovated / restored home have anything to brag or glory in?
IX. THE BODY IS TO BE USED TO GLORIFY GOD (V. 20).
1. This is the summation of the whole matter.
(1) Your body doesn’t belong to you.
(2) Your spirit doesn’t belong to you.
2. We must not live selfishly with any of our physical appetites.
1. The union of a man and woman in sexual relations is a delicate, intimate moment where body and heart are united. This can only be achieved in the context of godly marital love.
2. Outside the marriage bond, such relations are a sin against one’s self and against our God. Let us guard our hearts and eyes lest we sin against our God.
1. Any sin, in the eyes of God is great wickedness (not just fornication).
2. Yet God desires for us to be free of the guilt and burden of any sin we have committed, provided we are willing to follow His commandments.
3. There may forever be consequences to our sins, but so too can and will be the forgiveness of God if we will turn to Him.