#9 Praise Leads the Way
• Shifting the focus of the series some for this month
• Covid increasing
• School beginning in some form or fashiou
• Football, festivals, etc
• Want to look at some stories of God’s power
• Set it up - Moab, Ammon, Meunites (Mt Seir)
• Jehoshaphat - Judah - on their own
• Great horde, Fear, Worry, Anxiety
• Calls a fast FIRST, not a war council
• Seeks God FIRST, not power
2 Chron 20:20-24 NLT
The battle is not yours, but God’s.
• Truly is ALWAYS the case
• Whether its outside influences, or the demons we face within ourselves
• Why Christ-based recovery is far more successful
15 And he said, “Listen, all you of Judah and you inhabitants of Jerusalem, and you, King Jehoshaphat! Thus says the Lord to you: ‘Do not be afraid nor dismayed because of this great multitude, for the battle is not yours, but God’s.
• God often sets up impossible situations to demonstrate His place in our lives
• Don’t see one here
Praising God set the stage for a great victory.
• The shadow ties in to the principle:
Praise God in advance for what He is going to do.
• “I don’t know what He’s going to do”
• How can I praise for what I don’t know?
• They did in our story:
21 Then he consulted with the people and appointed some to sing for the Lord and some to praise the splendor of His holiness. When they went out in front of the armed forces, they kept singing: Give thanks to the Lord, for His faithful love endures forever.
• Could do it based on “faithful love” forever
• Depth of hesed
• Part of who God is, moves Him, motivates him
• love, kindness, mercy, compassion, goodness, all wrapped up in the word
• They were saying, God you love us, you care, you WANT to help us, you will do what is best for us
• When He sees you in your situation, hesed
BLANK FOR TRANSITION
• Frees Him from your box
• Lets Him do it His way
• Demonstrates your faith
• Apostle Paul puts it this way:
6 Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God;
• Still making requests known WHILE giving thanks
Learn to trust God
• Don’t miss the “learn to”
5 Trust in the Lord with all your heart, And lean not on your own understanding; 6 In all your ways acknowledge Him, And He shall direct your paths.
• “Acknowledge” him - yada
• to know experientially
• learn His way
• 800 uses
• comparable to Greek gnosis
• Not man’s, not yours, but God’s
• an overwhelming sense that it will be ok
• Its what God wants for you today
• This text says it all:
7 Then you will experience God’s peace, which exceeds anything we can understand. His peace will guard your hearts and minds as you live in Christ Jesus.
• “Peace” - eirene - another of those broad words
• health, welfare, prosperity, every kind of good