Forgive Us As We Forgive Others
Scripture: Mt 6:12
And forgive us our debts, as we also have forgiven our debtors. --- Mt 6:12
The Meaning of FORGIVE
- 1. To cease to feel resentment against an offender- to forgive an enemy
- 2. To give up resentment of or claim to requittal - to forgive an insult
- 3. To grant relief from payment of - to forgive a debt
- 4. To completely stop blaming or being angry with someone for something that person has done, or not punish them for something, and to stop thinking about it (Cambridge Dictionary)
- 5. Forgiveness is a conscious, deliberate decision to release feelings of resentment or vengeance toward a person or group who has harmed you, regardless of whether they actually deserve your forgiveness.(The Greater Good Science Center, University of California, Berkeley)
- 6. Forgiveness is a powerul act which doesn't free the guilty party but frees the victim from being held captive by the past actions of another. It doesn't undo the event. It doesn't cause someone to forever forget. It simply creates the possibility for healing to begin.
Forgiveness is not denying the seriousness of an offense against you.
It does not mean forgetting nor condoning or excusing offenses.
It can help to repair a damaged and broken relationship, but it does not insist or obligate you to reconsile with the person who harmed you or release them from legal consequences.
Forgiveness will bring the forgiver peace of mind and set him or her free from anger, hatred, resentment and revenge, and enable him or her to heal and move on with his or her life.
I. God's Part
If we confess our sins, He is faithful and righteous to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness. --- 1 Jn 1:9
Faithful - to forgive again and again; to keep on forgiving.
II. Man's Part
A. Ask God for Forgiveness
1. Humble yourself before God
2. Admit your mistakes/sin
3. Confess honestly and openly
4. Repent and forsake those sins
5. Receive God's Forgiveness
As far as the east is from the west, so far has He removed our transgressions from us. --- Ps 103:12
B. Ask People For Forgiveness
Through face-to-face meeting / video-call.
23 Therefore, if you are offering your gift (offering, sacrifice) at the altar and there remember that you brother or sister has something against you, 24 leave your gift there in front of the altar. First go and be reconciled to them; then come and offer your gift. --- Mt 5:23-24
- Admin you are wrong
- Don't justify or defend yourself
- Appologize sincerely and humbly ask for forgiveness
- Make restitution if necessary - set it right
C. Forgive Your Offenders
Those who hurt you.
Forgiveness will cost us a lot as we choose to lay down our right to have our offender owe us. We extend love and kindness even when itis undeserved as we trust God to avenge our situation instead of ourselves.
The REASON We Forgive
We forgive because God in His mercy first loved us (1 Jn 4:7-8) and forgave us (1 Jn 1:9) and granted us eternal life (Jn 3:16; Rom 6:23) and made us co-heirs with Jesus (Rom 8:17). On the cross, Jesus set us the example of forgiveness (Lk 23:34). Holy Spirit will empower us and His love within us will compel us to forgive our enemies.
14 For if you forgive other people when they sin against you, your heavenly Father will also forgive you. 15 But if you do not forgive others their sins, your Father will not forgive your sins. --- Mt 6:14-15
And when you stand praying, if you hold anything against anyone, forgive them, so that your Father in heaven may forgive you your sins. --- Mk 11:25
Jesus said, "Father, forgive them, for they do not know what they are doing. --- Lk 23:34
Blessed are the merciful, for they will be shown mercy. --- Mt 5:7
How Many Times to Forgive?
21 Then Peter came to Jesus and asked, "Lord, how many times shall I forgive my brother or sister who sins against me? Up to seven times?" 22 Jesus answered, "I tell you, not seven times, but seventy times seven. --- Mt 18:21-22
- 70 x 7 = 490 = again and again = always
1. We have a covenant relationship with God. A covenant is an agreement or a contract. It implies that one party will do their part as long as the other party does thiers.
2. We are children of God because of our faith, hope, trust, and belief in Christ. We are members of the Body of Christ and of His church. We are people who have surrendered and yielded our lives completely to God for His use and purposes.
3. We allow Him to decide what is best for our lives as our good Heavenly Father. And what He says, we will do. Unless, of course, we decide to disobey Him and do otherwise, and be our own lord and reject His Lordship, grace, mercy, redemption, and eternal destiny.
43 You have heard that it was said, "Love your neighbor and hate your enemy." 44 But I tell you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, 45 that you may be children of your Father in heaven. --- Mt 5:43-45
2 “Then the master called the servant in. ‘You wicked servant,’ he said, ‘I canceled all that debt of yours because you begged me to. 33 Shouldn’t you have had mercy on your fellow servant just as I had on you?’ 34 In anger his master handed him over to the jailers to be tortured, until he should pay back all he owed. 35 “This is how my heavenly Father will treat each of you unless you forgive your brother or sister from your heart.” --- Mt 18:32-35
1 “Not everyone who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only the one who does the will of my Father who is in heaven. 22 Many will say to me on that day, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name and in your name drive out demons and in your name perform many miracles?’ 23 Then I will tell them plainly, ‘I never knew you. Away from me, you evildoers!’ --- Mt 7:21-23
19 We love because he first loved us. 20 Whoever claims to love God yet hates a brother or sister is a liar. For whoever does not love their brother and sister, whom they have seen, cannot love God, whom they have not seen. 21 And he has given us this command: Anyone who loves God must also love their brother and sister. --- 1 Jn 4:19-21
Do the right and godly thing.
Ask God to forgive you.
Choose to forgive your tormentors and enemies from your heart and leave all unfair treatment and injustice in His hand.